Sunday, April 17, 2011

Breastfeeding

Wrote this entry about a month ago and never got around to posting it.  Maybe because of the somewhat risky nature of writing, let alone positing pictures, of us breastfeeding.  But honestly, this is what I spend a lot of my day doing and feel that this story of our journey would be incomplete without  documentation of this activity.  I will try to keep it as tasteful as possible, but feel free to stop here if you are uncomfortable.  Actually, I found that when most of our friends and family came to visit, they always wanted to hold and visit with the babies of course, but soon enough, they would cautiously ask about how exactly I am able to feed them at the same time and wondered what it looks like.  So, here it is.  And, I will begin with the older post and include corrections as far as what our current story is along the way....


Breastfeeding twins is no small feat...of will or luck.  There are many things that could get in the way of breastfeeding twins.  I personally battled with a few, but was able to somehow make my way through and end up in this place where we are still breastfeeding exclusively at three months.  I am not sure how much longer it will last- every day is a gift I pray I can continue to give to them, with the ultimate goal being a year. (Update- the babies didn't gain much weight for a few weeks so we started having to supplement at 3.5 months...very sad for me as this was not what I wanted to do yet...good news is they are doing awesome now and we are working hard towards reducing the supplementation...no matter what happens, we are just so grateful they are healthy and gaining weight)

Starting at the beginning...the hospital.  We were there for three days, my milk did not come in, and Owen wouldn't latch or suck.  The twins got way more formula than was ever part of my plan, but I couldn't stand the thought of them being hungry. The little (although very rich) colostrum I was producing had to be split!  I mean, sometimes it was only a few milliliters...talk about a humbling experience right out of the gates.  We went home, hoping the milk would come a flowin soon.  I spoke to some of my friends about when their milk came in.., "oh, it took a long time...like 48 hours or something."  This response really started to frustrate me as I was approaching NINE DAYS without milk for my babies!  But, alas, with patience and some coaching from a friends and mentors, I stopped supplementing, which probably increased their sucking, and my milk came in.  It didn't come gushing like many friends described to me also.  No squirting milk, leaking, or even engorgement, but I will never forget that first time I pulled Ruby off the source and saw milk drizzling out of the side of her mouth.  My heart danced.

So, we are rolling, right?  Well, sort of.  My nipples were REALLY sore.  I knew that some of this was to be expected but, as the pain got worse and worse (we are talking 7-9 on a pain scale people), I thought, "How is it possible there are this many human beings on earth?  This sucks."  (pun intended).  I eventually found out that I had an infection that all three of us needed to be treated for.  As the infection started to clear, a clogged duct came out of the woodwork, requiring me to massage and heat the area as well as sleep on my back until it cleared.  Annoying.

The good news is, we made it through.  However,  I know there will be other challenges to overcome as they get older, demand gets higher, and life continues to be generally insane. (predicting the future here I guess)

I feed them at the same time.  I can do it by myself when I need to like throughout the night and when Chip is working.  It took some practice, guidance (thanks, Wendy!), and gumption.  But, now, it is second nature.  However, in true Chip form, he is always very involved when he is here- burping a baby or handing them to me as I get settled (update- and now feeding one a bottle when we are done at the breast).  I don't think you could even attempt to breastfeed twins without significant partner support- emotional and otherwise. ;)


Every day I eat a bowl of oatmeal , drink a beer (it's the hops that is helpful- usually have it after my last feeding of the night), and some special tea for breastfeeding moms-  all ways to increase milk supply.  Drinking enough fluid and eating enough calories are also ways to keep the party rolling.  This is actually the hardest part. When is a mom of twins supposed to drink 5 liters of fluid and eat more than average?  So, whenever you have spare positive energy to send us for this continued venture, please do.  We accept prayers, intentions, love, thoughts, helping hands, and encouraging words.  Thanks in advance!
Sincerely, Team DuRoss  :)

4 comments:

Erika said...

Audrey, you are absolutely amazing! I'm right back there feeling the pain of initial nursing and am reminded by my memories and your post that the pains subside, you get through the rough parts and it is so worth it in the long run. You are giving Ruby such a great gift so don't get too caught up in the negativity of having to supplement with formula. They are still getting so much nutrients for their brain, bodies, immunities, etc... from YOU. Way to go.
I love the photo of you taking a bottle - oh a good dark beer sounds pretty good.

bella said...

you are the most amazing woman and mom EVER!!!! i'm so happy for you all that through all the mishaps...it is working!!! my milk supply was AWFUL for my twins and i pumped for 6 weeks to give them all i could. must have been enough because they stayed healthy healthy healthy for the first year!!! so your twins should be set for life!! :)

Unknown said...

love the pics, they are beautiful

Unknown said...

You guys are amazing! Audrey... serious admiration in your tenacity to breast feed the babes!

p.s.. LOVE the hat pics, love my little owls!!