Monday, July 7, 2014

Montana- Missoula

Our family camping trip this year was to Montana.  There are some special people and places in that state that we wanted to visit and for Ruby and Owen to meet.  We camped in ID for a night on the way up.  It was chilly and threatened rain, but none came.
 


Biking around the campsite.  What an awesome stage we are at.  Chip and I get to enjoy a walk after dinner around the grounds and these two get to stride their little hearts out on all the paved roads.  Good stuff.

The lighting and energy was just working for me this evening or something. I just love everyone's smiles in all these pics.


Good morning, Montana!

Visited a ghost town on our way to Missoula in the morning.  After all, my kids (Owen especially, but Ruby too) sort of love scary things, always have.  They are still fascinated with ghosts, goblins, dead things and people and coming back to life, anything  haunted-all of it. So, an abandoned town was right up our alley.


Alright- let's get there already!

The "M"!  Chip and I helped Ruby and Owen hike up at least half of this trek, but they did most of the down themselves.  This was such a cool experience.  We have hiked to the M dozens of times, mostly during our years as students in Missoula, but even after at different stages of life during visits.  I have vivid memories of hiking it for the first time with my dad and Chip after rolling into town to attend school at the U, state of MT, sight unseen. I remember hiking it with my college roommates, contemplating life.  I remember hiking it by myself, looking out onto the first place I chose and made home.  And now, to hike it with my husband and kids, was pretty incredible.


Beautiful day, beautiful memories.

Eddy St.

So, we visited the old, and discovered Missoula from a new perspective too!  Carous Park was a hit. The carousel is the fastest in the west and was a huge hit with Owen and Ruby.  We rode it more than a few times.  The new wave in town was a hit with dad too.  We walked away trying to figure out where one of these could go in near Park City.  Getting to surf when land locked is thrilling.  Of course, Chip picked it up quickly- check out the video.



Hang ten, dad!

In Missoula, we stayed with Amy and Fred (we missed you, Abe!), our dear friends from PA school.  They had a new family addition, Gus, the dog.  He was a hit and SO stinkin cute.


3 year old boy plus 3 month old dog = perfect match.

Ruby said to me at dinner the other day at home, "mom, when I grow up I am going to be a girl who works at a farm."  So, when we got to Fred and Amy's and they had chickens, bunnies, a garden, and needed "farm help", Ruby was in heaven.

In Missoula, we visited a few favorite shops and bars, got to see Adam Sherba, go for a run on the Kim Williams trail, and have some "crack" at Bernice's Bakery.  Thanks to Fred and Amy for hosting us and to Missoula for being somewhere we will always come back to. 


No comments: