Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Montana- Bozeman and Yellowstone

Next, we headed down and over to Bozeman to visit the Tuttle family.  They are fun and we were so excited to bike around town with them, catch up, and get to spend some time with their newest addition, Caroline, who we had not met yet.

Unfortunately, Ruby and I sustained a bad bike accident only hours after arriving.  Ruby was riding in the foam seat in front of me, but the foot peg did not fit on the bike we were borrowing.  So, after only a block, her foot got stuck in the front tire and we went from 15 miles per hour to a dead stop.  Both of us flew off the bike.  I will be forever grateful that we were both wearing helmets (mine cracked- landed on it), and that there were no cars in the road at the time.  Ruby was scared, bleeding only a bit from her mouth, but 20 minutes later was flying around on her strider like nothing had happened.  Kids- so resilient.  I, on the other hand, tore my upper lip area up (I was worried I had lost teeth- ahh- SO grateful that didn't happen also) and ended up breaking a bone in my elbow.  I felt traumatized and uncomfortable, but for the most part, was okay and like I said, extremely grateful every time I thought about how much worse this accident could have turned out.  Wear your helmets and listen to your husband (Chip warned me that her feet might need to be moved moments before this happened).  That is what I learned.


Love these guys! We had a great visit despite the accident.  Thanks for all the hospitality!

This is a sticker from when my dad ran for school board....when I was in high school.  Not sure how one of these stickers made it this long and ended up on Ian's bike.  Hilarious.

Now, on to Yellowstone.  I forget how easy it is to live and camp in Utah sometimes.  Bear country requires a lot more vigilance.  Ruby and Owen didn't mind.


I had not been to Yellowstone for probably a decade.  The place does not disappoint.  Immediately after crossing the boarder into the park, you are engulfed in amazing scenery, crazy geologic phenomenons, and a density of animals that we just don't have in other places anymore. We camped at Indian Creek and enjoyed biking and hiking right from our campsite.  

The next day we did the tour around to many of the sights.  This mini grand canyon was a really steep and fun hike and the views were intensified by the dark and humid weather we were experiencing.


This was our lunch stop.  As I mentioned, it was stormy, and cold.  In fact, it was supposed to snow the next night.  So, after being drenched the night before, we made the decision to not camp again in Yellowstone and to head to Victor to stay at the DuRoss house instead.  This was a dissapointment and stirred on lots of conversation about how we would like to aquire the lightest and most simple pop up camper we can find.  We'll see.


Rain at Old Faithful and the need for a bathroom led us to the gift shop, which led to us saying they (which really only ended up being Ruby due to some poor choices on Owen's part) could have a lollipop.  Ruby and baby chose with care, and she enjoyed that thing during our entire visit.



We could barely see Old Faithful because of the weather, but it was fun anyway and the surrounding geysers were pretty amazing.  Owen was in a terrible mood, hence no pictures of him really, and we were losing steam after driving and hiking around at the sights all day.  Time to head into Jackson for dinner and on to the house for a warm and dry place to sleep before heading home to Park City.


Ahhh, yes.  The view into Jackson from the park.  I guess there are no guarantees when it comes to the weather.  This place is obviously beautiful, no matter what the weather, that is for sure.



No comments: