Monday, August 25, 2008

OBX


Here is quick video of some of our adventures. I haven't ever used the video program before, so it is a little rough around the edges. :) In summary, it was an incredible week with family in a place I have been visiting somewhat regularly as long as I can remember, The Outer Banks, NC.

The water was a highlight this year. The first few days it was clear and glassy- perfect waves for learning to surf. Then, Tropical Storm Fay started to come nearer and produced some rougher seas (but still sunny weather) for the second part of the week. I am still in shock about how well Evan and Madeleine swim. All those swim lessons have certainly paid off! They were out there in some of the biggest waves I have seen in NC, with strong currents. One day John, Evan, Chip and I body surfed these currents a mile down the beach to the pier and walked back to our towels and chairs. Evan (almost 9 years old) learned to maneuver and stand up on the surf board like he was born on the coast! Madeleine (7 years old), although barely big enough to hold onto the surf board, also insisted on standing on it and riding it like a boogie board at every opportunity possible. Wait till you see the pictures, you won't believe your eyes!


Other highlights included amazing feasts of seafood, playing tennis, and sunrise sessions of surfing and/or walking almost every morning. Of course, the best part was being able to eat, hang out, and catch up with my sister, her family, and my mom in person...no phone call or blog can ever make up for that! Thanks y'all for putting forth the teamwork it took to pull off the week. We love you all so much and can't wait for next time!





“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.”

--Isak Dinesen

4 comments:

Hope said...

That video brings tears to my eyes and I wasn't even there!!! Way to go Evan and Madeline ~ you guys are amazing. Audz, call when you have a minute, I need to know how to do that video????

Luv n Hugs,

Hope

Chris said...

Great video...Wish our trips could have overlapped more than 20 minutes! Can't believe everyone was surfing!? Next time we visit PDX I expect Chip to stand out there and push me into the waves too.

Audzzz said...

Thanks! And, to Evan's credit and for the record, Uncle Chip was not pushing him into most of the waves I have pictures of. It was really amazing. But, Chris, I am sure Chip would be happy to push you into waves next time. I am surely expecting him to do the same for me!

John said...

Wow - I loved the video & all the great photos!!! What a wonderful job you did!!! I watched it 3 times. You have to show John how to do that. He did start a blog on Sunday just so you know you guys have inspired us/him. He'll share the link once he writes some more. The vacation was great and I am glad that we did all make it happen :)
love you much,
Tina