Sunday, February 10, 2013

Talking

They say the funniest things.  It is endless.  I want to record everything they are saying and doing right now, but you can't possibly be fastest enough with the video, plus it changes how they are. So, I will take some notes here in an effort to capture some of it.  Sorry about the length- can't help myself.

Owen-
OT is often found holding one or both of these two things- blanket, vacuum attachment.


"I'm pretendin"   Owen loves to "pretend".  In fact, I am sometimes able to avoid a tantrum by suggesting he pretend doing whatever it is he wants to do that he can't.  He pretend vacuums (his favorite thing to pretend doing), pretend cooks, and pretend sleeps.  These are all probably normal things for a 2 year old to do in pretend play...but it just makes me laugh that he is so aware that he IS pretending.  He also is pretty fixated on when something should be "real". He'll say, "Mommy, I want a real treat", or a "real snow ball".  Hilarious.

"I'm busy"   Whenever it is time to eat a meal or leave the house and Owen doesn't want to make the transition, he will say, "No, mommy, I'm busy!"

We had been talking about how the food they were eating was going to give them energy.  So, then we were trying to get settled for nap and Owen was SO fidgety.  He rolls over and says to me, "I have energy!"  I just can't get over the connections they are making.  While they still are great parrots, so many things are also spontaneous and original and incredible.

Owen can count to 11 or so and can say almost the whole alphabet (singing, of course- I think he just thinks it is a string of funny words.  Not sure he gets that they are letters)

"little bit" is one of his favorite phrases.  They love to play in the car when we get home from errands.  He will negotiate getting to do this as well as other things he wants to do that I have said no to, by pleading in the sweetest voice, "Mommy, just a little bit".  I usually can't resist.  He sounds so reasonable.  Might have a lawyer on my hands.

While Ruby continues to progress amazingly along the potty independence trajectory, Owen, such a typical boy when it comes to this thing, likes to tell me when he has gone poop.  He says, "I pooped in my diaper, it's okay."  I guess we have said this a few times to make sure he doesn't feel bad about not wanting to use the potty yet...and it stuck.

At Home Depot the other day, the lady checking us out was saying goodbye to the kids.  They just stared, so in an effort to help them practice some good social skills, I prompted them to say good bye.  Owen looks at the lady and says, "Have a nice weekend!".  As we pull away in the cart, he looks at me and says, "Mommy, I didn't want to say good bye."

When asked what Owen would like to bring to share to a party we were going to he said, "Salad and books.....and candy!"


Ruby-
Wearing the lucky goggles

Wearing a new scarf that Oma made...so we don't have to fight over the one anymore. :)

Wearing one of (the skirt) many adorable things that Aunt Mindy gets these two as well as some sassy boots handed down from Cousin Mercy.  Thanks everyone!


When Ruby was asked what she would like to bring to this same party she responded, "Cake and mushrooms....and candy!"

Ruby doesn't tell me she is pretending, she just does a lot of it.  Her favorite toys are little people and animals that she can make walk around, play, fly and talk.  Once I caught her circling up her stuffed animals telling them it was "circle time".  Owen came around the corner and she invited him to join circle time too.  Too stinkin cute.

She loves to sing.  She likes to make up songs too, especially with her toys and before bed.  She and I have jointly written a song called, "Set the Table".  Subject matter and most words by Ruby with some tune support by mom.

Ruby could be one of the most easy going 2 year olds I have ever met.  She has actually always been this way...and thank goodness!  Owen pretty much constantly takes her things.  50% of the time she just picks something else to play with.  Or, if Owen is fussing because I gave something he snatched out of her hands, back to her, she will walk over to him and say, "Here Owen, I'm done."  The other 50% of the time she gets mad and sad...which I can't blame her for.

"No peeky weeky!"  This phrase will set both Ruby and Owen into fits of laughter- something Ms Terri at daycare said around the holidays in connection to some game they played.  Must have been fun.

When Owen is upset, Ruby will often bring him a toy or a book and say, "Feel better, Owen."  Or, she will walk over and say, "Santa Claus!"...which I am not sure why, but makes them both explode into a fit of laughter again and helpfully derails whatever it was that Owen was crying
about.

We do this thing after bath where they talk to the mirror and tell their reflection things they like.  It is a mental health providers dream come true!  Ha!  Ruby isn't speaking as clearly in this video, but the end is so good that we have probably watched it 100 times.

https://vimeo.com/59378150

A script from a sweet conversation they had with dad's help-
Ruby is wearing a crown on her head and walks over to dad and Owen on the couch.

Dad- "Owen, do you like Ruby's crown?"
Owen- "I do like your crown!"
Dad- "Well, that was nice.  Ruby, do you want to give Owen a compliment?"
Ruby- "Owen, you are handsome."
Dad- "Oh wow, that was nice too.  Owen, do you have another compliment for Ruby?"
Owen- "Ruby, I like how you painted with your hands yesterday."



I am addicted to pictures of hugs and love, and dad likes to make them do funny and cute stuff in front of the camera, so this works out. ;)


Oh my gosh- too much!  I just can't get over the things that come out of their mouths most of the time! We have been talking about compliments and encourage them to off set the hitting and taking that goes on.  We'll see how it all works out.

Okay- ONE more and then I will stop!
So, they love to find the moon.  I never realized until Ruby and Owen were around, how often the moon is out during the day or evening before it gets dark.  Anyway, so I started calling it a crescent moon, half moon, or full moon, which they can now usually recognize on their own.  So, if there is a crescent moon, one of them will call it a "Kessler (sounds like crescent I guess) Moon" and again, giggles from both.  Is there any better sound?



5 comments:

Aunt Laura said...

Audrey, How much fun is the video! so great that Ru likes everything! about Ruby. I cannot imagine the double fun with 2 two yr old kiddos! The rest of us need to do the "I like" exercise-would start our day off w a smile, for sure (~: A Laura

bella said...

thank you for posting this!!! just gave me sooo many smiles and giggles! love it beyond words! :)

m said...

This is wonderful! I love the conversations and the video is too much! Beautiful.

bella said...

we all just watched the video now that scott is home....and oh my word!!! cannot stop laughing (in a good way, of course)! besides ruby being just the most adorable gal EVER, scott's favorite part is the background crash followed by owen saying 'ow!!'. sammy LOVES miss ruby!

Aunt Laura said...

Audie, I now hv the O,R & K group hug on my desktop! Would love to aim for PC & SLC for the summer. We shall see (~: Sure ur most requested is videos of O & R talking or singing! Helps me feel like I'm popping in to see you all. love, love, A Laura