Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Superman

I have suspected that I was married to superman for years.  Last Saturday, my suspicions were confirmed.  Chip had just worked a night shift on Friday and had one more to work Saturday night before he had some time off.  We were itching to get the kids out skiing again since we have been thwarted by illness and extremely cold temps for what seems like most of the winter!  So, we mentioned skiing on Saturday morning with the kids.  They latched onto this idea, which is so cute and hard to resist for us, but we weren't sure how much sleep Chip would get, so we tried not to talk about it too much.  Of course, Chip was up most of the night.  He came home on one, yes, 1,  hour of sleep.  And still he rallied to take the kids skiing at Park City for the morning.  How he mustered the energy, I will never know or understand.

So, we showed up only to realize that Park City was REALLY busy.  There were competitions taking place, it was a sunny beautiful Saturday morning, we weren't early or late enough to miss the crowds, etc.  All this equals NO parking.  Chip dropped Ruby, Owen, myself and all our gear off at the bottom of the hill....and then proceeds to drive around for 30 minutes trying to find parking and eventually ends up at the high school (overflow parking) at which point he then had to take a shuttle to finally meet us.

Getting two two year olds ready for skiing (helmets, gloves, harnesses, edgie wedgies, skis) has its challenges as well, but they were in good moods and I had a full night's sleep under my belt so it was at least manageable.  We were waiting so long that we even got a run in on our own!  Owen and Ruby were so patient and entertained by all the other kids on the hill.  My biggest concern was that they were a sitting duck for some out of control skier to hit while waiting for me to get back to them, but I hoped for the best, it worked out this time.

Chip finally made it to us with a smile on his face, if you can believe that, and we skied 7 laps on the magic carpet.  The kids did great and were left wanting to do it more. So, mission accomplished.  And, somehow, Chip managed to get us all home without falling asleep at the wheel.  Since then we have been to Deer Valley and Ruby and Owen have ridden on the chair lift too!

Skiing is something that has given me so much- confidence, joy, serenity, sanity, fitness, and friends.  In fact, pretty sure I wouldn't be married to Chip if it weren't for skiing at Alpine Valley back in high school.  To be able to do it with my kids is enthralling....brings smiles to my heart and face that do not fade easily.  I know that they could change their minds about the whole thing at any point, so I am just going to enjoy whatever they will give me for now.  :)

And, here is a video of Ruby and I skiing...

https://vimeo.com/58863500


2 comments:

Hope said...

It gives this Auntie pure joy to watch that video - go Ruby!!! And... Chip wins daddy of the day award for sure - children give you energy you never knew existed. Love you guys.

John said...

I love watching the kids do this. It brings back memories of when we had Evan on skis at 3 in Park City.