Sunday, May 11, 2008

SLC-PDX


Where do I begin? It has been a whirlwind of a month and somehow, at the end of it all, here I it sit in our tiny and adorable Portland apartment looking out the window at scenery that is beautiful , yet unfamiliar. We feel so hopeful and...satisfied about this move. And still, there is a lonely pit in my stomach nagging. Chip and I joke that in a way we still feel like we are visiting. I wonder when the reality that we are not returning to all the people and things we loved in SLC will set in.

So far, things are great here. We look forward to exploring our new surroundings and forging new relationships around us. Chip and I are fortunate to have some great friends here in Portland already and, in addition to that, strangers on the street share such genuine smiles generously- I love it! It has been gray here since our arrival, but I am glad to see that it does not have to cause an outbreak of gloomy moods. I am sure I will miss the consistent sunshine doled out by Utah days, but for now, the cool coastal air feels good on my skin and, for someone so connected to my sunglasses that some thought they grew out of my head, it feels good to remove the plastic lens between my eye and the world around me. I mean seriously, who can complain about an environment that promotes growth so well that I sometimes worry that moss will start to grow on my car parked in the street , or at least that a blossom will sprout out of the headlight- they seem to sprouting out of everything else- it is truly incredible. Come check it out for yourself and see us!

Chip and I want to make sure that we give a big shout out of gratitude to so many of you for helping us with this transition. Thanks to Chris and Erika for organizing an awesome send off party a few days before our departure. Thanks to Pam and Justin for not only watching, but loving, our dog in all our times of need. Thanks to Ann and Andy for helping us pack in SLC. Huge thanks to mom DuRoss for driving one of our cars and helping us stay motivated to unpack when we just wanted to walk away. Thanks to both moms (Chip's and Jon's) as well as Jon himself, for helping us unpack. And, thanks to those who supported us with your good energy and phone calls to let us know that you are thinking about us.

We have some plans to get out and about before Chip starts school and I start work. And, of course, more details to come on those topics later. So, bookmark or "RSS feed" this page if you want to stay updated on our dealings.


(The new 650 sq.ft. flat)







This is a quote we found and had posted on our fridge for the last few months. I rediscovered it in our unpacking...

"The warrior knows that he is free to choose his desires, and he makes these decisions with courage, detachment, and-sometimes- with just a touch of madness."
-Paulo Coelho from Warrior of the Light



2 comments:

Erika said...

You look amazingly settled and the colors suite your taste. Salt Lake has been throwing us some overcast weather too and despite the fact that my garden is making headway, I don't feel like things are sprouting up everywhere. That will definitely be a perk to living there. You will be surrounded with fantabulous farmers' markets - and it looks like you've already visited one. It is good to hear you are getting out and taking advantage of the recreational opportunities. Any luck with the job search?
Miss you!

-E

Hope said...

Seriously ~ are you really decorated already???? You two never cease to AMAZE me! I am proud beyond words of the 2 of ya. It's fun to be the "bi-standers" and just take in the adventures of Chip & Audz. God is good and we can't wait to see this next chapter of your lives being unveiled. We are counting down the days until we're with you both ~ Selah & Judah can't wait to have all this quality time with you guys.

Love ya,

Hope