Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Constant entertainment

Owen has grown into quite the sweet and thoughtful boy.  The other day, I was coming up the stairs after work, and Owen runs to the top of them saying, "Mama, how was work today?"  He regularly asks me, "Mama, how were your appointments?"  We will be eating breakfast and he will say, "Thanks for making pancakes (or whatever else it is that he is eating), mama."  One day he came scampering around the corner, looks at me and says, " I am happy you are here!"  And, when I was gone for an hour to drop my sister at the airport I returned and he says, "I missed you, mama."  I mean, seriously.  Could that be any more fun?
At the park

Other Owen quotes include, "I am going to Vegas Baby" After Chip returned from a work trip to Vegas, all they wanted to do was ride their cars around pretending they were coming or going from Vegas.  The would go to the "hotel" or "play with toys" in Vegas.  It was hilarious.  Sometimes they will tell me or each other to "be careful" or "have fun!".
Owen "shaving"...with my toothbrush no less!  And, using his "mini ipad" as he calls it (my ipod)


Ruby also likes to say thank you, but usually only after Owen has done it and gotten a good response.  She doesn't miss anything and easily picks up on those social skills and benefits.  She also often asks questions and when I don't know the answer (yes, this happens all the time...what am I going to do when they are in high school!?) she will say, "We need to google that."
Ruby and I share this hat I found at Savers.  We love it.

She is able to recognize words that rhyme.  In fact, if you happen to say two words that rhyme, she will be sure to tell you, "Daddy, that rhymes!"  She also notices if I am wearing new earrings or a new shirt and usually tells me she likes them.  Oma was wearing a new shirt so Ruby pointed out, "Oma, you have a new shirt on."  Oma says, "Ruby, you are too much."  Ruby replies, "I am NOT too much."
This girl is a walking fashion statement most of the time.  I mean seriously, who dressed her this morning!  I wish I could say she picked out her own outfit, but dad would not let that slide.  I am usually the one being busted by the fashion police in our house.  Whoops.


Ruby likes to tells stories about "A bear up on the mountain."  She will yell to get our attention if we are talking saying, "Hey, listen to this.  Hey, guys, listen to THIS!"  And then she goes into the bear on the mt.  Sometimes he comes into our house, sometimes he plays with toys in the woods.  Sometimes we walk with him on the trail.  Chip has told them some version of this story since they were born, so it is adorable to see her start to repeat and create a similar story on her own!
Dad learned to braid!  Pretty good for his first time. :) He is going to benefit from some one on one tutoring with our niece, Madeleine.  She is the braid queen!

When we are having adult conversation and no one has paid attention to them for a bit, Ruby and Owen often ask, "What are you talking about?"



They have started telling on each other a little bit (which is better than biting), which involves one of them saying, "Mommy, Ruby said I couldn't have any snack."  or something like that.  So, I started saying, "Well, Ruby is not the boss (which we quickly changed to "in charge").  Mommy is in charge and you can have snack (or whatever)."  Well, they latched onto that and now, almost daily I am informed that one of them is NOT in charge, that they are in charge of themselves (another phrase we coined), or that Mommy or Daddy are the boss!

Aunt Tina caught this hilarious moment on camera.  Ruby- almost biting Owen.  Owen, bracing for the event.  Dad, saving this one.  Love it.

2 comments:

Aunt Laura said...

Ahhh, all I can think of is--What a delight & super challenge these kiddos are! Your great pics make it to my PC desktop, where I can enjoy them all day long. One of my favs was puddling & the other is the Ruby kiss/Owen grimace! They'll be all grown up before i get there, guys! Thanks for all of it, love u all, A Laura

bella said...

oh stop it!!! i love and adore all these fun stories. the talking at this age is just hilarious! next time chip works with scott, have him teach scott how to braid....please!!!!!