Sunday, January 6, 2013

The End of 2012

After Christmas we drove north to visit Nana and Papa's new place in Victor, ID.  It is a gorgeous house in a breathtaking location.  Needless to say, we had a great time and found some fun things to do.  We played outside a lot despite temperatures in the single digits.  

Owen is wearing his helmet because we did A LOT of sledding.  There is some footage in this post.  It was epic.  Their road is a 1.5 mile private drive, which during this visit was covered in packed snow.  The road is a perfect pitch for sledding- only a few spots where you had to push and only a few spots where you started to feel totally out of control.  For the most part it was 600 vertical ft. of pure sledding thrills.  There are few activities these days that are enjoyed equally by Ruby, Owen, and us parents.  This is one of them.


Ruby going, "by myself" (...she is so 2), in the driveway.


We did white elephant and these goggles were my winnings and secret weapon (in addition to our A-fresh special sleds) to winning all time trials this day.

Two videos (links below) here.  There are more, and they are all hilarious, but I just couldn't put them all on here.  Papa (our shuttle driver for the sledding escapades), was hyper.  
1) https://vimeo.com/56614478
2) https://vimeo.com/56614477



Chip and I got out to ski a lap on Teton Pass during nap time one day.  The visibility wasn't very good at the top and we are not experts with the terrain.  So, aside from almost getting stuck on top of cliffs with no skins in my backpack (forgot them in the kid packs from the day before) and thinking I was going to need a helicopter to get me out of there alive, it was great. I mean, once we picked our way through the ONLY spot possible, we got to ski the powder seen below.  I guess all is well that ends well, right?





Lately, with less free time on our hands since I started my practice, we have occasionally resorted to take-out to maintain sanity.  Owen eats most anything we will put in front of him.  Ruby, not so much- oh well.  At least they both like the fortune cookies.  Here are few quotes I will leave you with from our last meal.  Happy New Year!  We wish the happiest, healthiest, and most love-filled year possible to all of our family and friends.



4 comments:

Hope said...

Sledding is the PERFECt winter activity for the whole family!! Love the blog - but for some reason the video link isn't working on my iPad??

Unknown said...

I pretty much LOVE the video... hilarious and awesome. You all look healthy and happy! Happy New Year!
Brooke

Aunt Laura said...

How FUN!!!! like the most funnest that I've seen in a while and it makes me want to brave the cold with all you crazy DuRosses!! Loved the commentary by Papa and the watching you all speed down that l-o-o-n-g hill. You all are the best!! A Laura
Oh, PS. I had to copy the link and paste it in an email & voila!

bella said...

i forgot to mention earlier that next time i see you, i hope you will be wearing the new shades! sweeeeeet!! also, i giggle each time i see that picture of the 4 kids (with ruby and owen mostly naked) because it looks like owen's hand is down his pants. alex ALWAYS has his hand down his pants and so it just makes me laugh!