Friday, July 6, 2012

18 months

One of the coolest parts of being a parent is getting to relive and watch your kids go through all the stages of learning and development that you don't remember.  The rate at which they develop and grow right now is so fast I can't keep up most of time.  At this point it seems they understand most of what we are saying...to them at least...and then I am caught off guard often with how much of the rapid conversation between adults they are picking up on as well.

Since my last post, it was Father's Day.  We celebrated with homemade bread (my new addiction), local awesome beer (yes, from Utah- amazing, I know), Red Lentil Chipotle Soup, and a yummy dessert (I even branched out from Brownies people!).  The way to a man's heart, and maybe a good way to say "thanks for being a stupendous dad" then, is also, through his stomach, eh?!

They imitate everything we do- actions like cleaning, hugging, and jumping- words and sounds as well as voice inflections.  I am pretty self conscience these days.  It kinda freaks me out when Owen or Ruby make a sound or say a word and all I hear is myself.  They are starting to sing, which could be the sweetest sound to pass through the human ear.  My favorite is when they sing the "Ho Hey" song by the Lumineers.  I mean, they are singing only those two words of the song...ho, and hey...but still.

They can spot family members and some friends in pictures and can say lots of names.  In fact, they will figure out a name and then say it constantly for days on end.  We are full of bumps and bruises and scratches.  I am waiting for someone to call CPS on us.  It is just near impossible to have your eye or hand on both of them at once.  And even when I am staring right at them...they still fall!  I guess this is just part of learning how to run and climb and use that little body of theirs.  It is scary from the parent perspective and only gets scarier I think.  Ahhh!




Ruby decided to potty train herself, so that is pretty awesome.  I have had two toddler potties waiting under the bed for many months now.  I have been pretty excited to start the process myself...maybe she was picking up on my energy about it...she is glued to me most of the time.  Anyway, I have been REALLY looking forward to the day we might not need to throw so many diapers into the landfills every day.  Having kids has by far been the most consumptive thing I have ever done and I am looking forward to regaining some normalcy for us again in terms of all that. Anyway, starting at 17.5 months she just started telling us when she needed to poop and when asked if she wanted to use the potty, she responded, "yes"...and she did!  We took a road trip shortly after all this started and she continued to use even public bathrooms...to Oma's dismay and mom and dad's delight- we just couldn't believe it.  So, we are just barely now home and starting to get our act together to start "potty training".  Owen is on board too cause whatever Ruby does, is cool.  He wouldn't want to miss out on anything!  I just hope the ball keeps rolling and not that we are stuck in a kinda potty trained mode forever.  I can tell already that although using the toilet will be easier one day for all of us...it is not easier than diapers right now.  Holy smokes, more details on the process of getting two toddlers somewhat simultaneously on and off the potty in another post.  Anyway, for now, I am not sure what I did, but I am pretty sure I just completely drained my good karma bank for this one.



Mom and Dad- how are we?  Well, I was just listening to Science Friday on NPR in the car the other day and found myself actually interested in what they were talking about.  Science Friday used to be my favorite radio day of the week (I am kinda a radio nerd)...until I had kids.  I remember when Ruby and Owen were babies and I would hear a show on Science Friday and think to myself, "Seriously, people, why do you CARE about this??!  Don't you have kids at home that you would rather be holding and playing with instead of studying some unimportant tiny sea creature or theory?"  I really couldn't imagine anyone caring about ANYTHING aside from their own children.  Whoa- that was intense and I am glad to have experienced such an intense connection to my family.  However, I am feeling so much more normal these days and am really grateful for that too.  Although I am still really bad at putting myself first, like to get out for exercise, I feel more like myself, more balanced, interested in the world around me again.  I still suck at socializing, which used to be a forte, so that is tough, but I have confidence it will come back too.  I am in the process of opening a part time private practice and have been going to work, albeit only a few days a month, and this feels great and makes me appreciate being able to be home with the kids right now.

Learning to eat corn on the cob.

Chip is amazing, as usual.  He has been taking on a bunch of extra shifts to help support some coworkers who just had twins, while also training for a marathon.  Yes, you heard (or read) me!  A MARATHON.  He is so disciplined about getting out for runs or rides to get ready for this venture. He is insanely resilient after night shifts and manages to still spend a lot of time with the family too...on top of the aforementioned items!   He is always game for a story time, splash pad visit, errands, or just playing around the house.

So, that is some of the news from the Summit DuRoss clan at 18 months AT (after twins that is).


Cheers! Should I be worried about how longingly Ruby is eyeing my Margarita?? :)

3 comments:

bella said...

love it all!! they are just at such an amazing stage of loving life, aren't they? ruby, as always, rocks! and cute owen for following her potty-lead. (sorry...we will be adding diapers to the landfill until mine are 3 or 4!! they just don't care AT ALL. argh!) and you are my hero. i just admire you so much for getting back to life and exercising and getting your practice together and cooking and traveling...so awesome! gooooooo team duross!!

Hope said...

You go RUBY - come teach your cousin Mercy while you're at it!! Very impressive with the potty training - I always thought that was a myth that they could be trained so early...I guess my mom wasn't making up those stories after all - LOL. Love ya and will miss ya as we head down to the sandy beaches. xoxoxoxo

m said...

From the co-worker with new twins - THANK YOU CHIP for all the extra shifts you worked for us. Also thank you for the delicious dinner that was brought and for the continued support via emails, etc. Pughs heart DuRoss'!