Thursday, June 9, 2011

Let's Eat

I, personally, couldn't be happier that Ruby and Owen are finally eating solids.  After all the drama for us around breastfeeding (update entry to follow on all that), I am just excited for them to be eating normal food like the rest of us.  We started with rice cereal, which went over well, and moved on pretty quickly to more exciting things- avocado, then sweet potatoes, and some local grass fed beef is up next!  So far I have been making their food, which is fun, easy, and finally...something I wanted to do all along that actually is working out as I envisioned it.  Yahoo!  Oma and I served up the first rice cereal at five and half months.  We just couldn't wait any longer.  Ruby and Owen were pawing at our forks and knives during meals, pulling at our water glasses as we gulped, and couldn't take their eyes off of our mouths as we filled them with food.  They were ready.  

 Yeah man, give peas a chance.  I haven't yet, but I plan on it.  


Ruby before....obviously excited about what is about to happen.
Ruby after.  A little bland, but delicious.

 Owen tends to get a little messier when he eats.  In general, the whole ordeal is a lot less messier than I pictured.  I am predicting that when they get a little more involved we are going to have to bring out the hose afterwards...and Kessler will put on a few more pounds.

 Here is Owen trying to feed himself avocado for the first time.  He wants to do everything himself.  We keep several spoons on hand- one for him to hold and "feed" himself with and one for us to use to actually get more food into his mouth...although he really isn't too far off.

"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy."  ~Author Unknown (I think Ruby or Owen said this)

3 comments:

Bella said...

ok...those are just the cutest pics EVER!!!!! they are just lovin' life more now, huh?!? i made all the food for my kids, too. i will be interested to know if you love it as much when they start to eat mass quantities. that is when it got not as enjoyable for me....i hope you have a better attitude than i did! :)

Hope said...

Yay!! One of my favorite memories is making TONS of homemade baby food - I loved making huge batches and freezing!! Have fun!!!

Derek said...

Cannot wait to see those two eating in 3-D! Cannot believe they are nearly 6 months.

BTW...Here is to Avocado's. I am considering going to a 100% Avocado diet...Avocado's on 100% of everything I eat!