Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes we can!





I am not sure exactly what will become of the words and images we have been collecting on this blog. But so far, it has become a place to record our personal histories in a journalistic fashion. And therefore, I can not pass up this opportunity to document the power and inspiration of today's inauguration for Chip and I. This marks a U-turn in our attitude and pride in being an American. Never before have we stood so tall and felt so confident in our country. The same people walked the streets in cities and towns aroud the country yesterday and yet, today we seem to have more hope in their potential...our own potential...than we did just a few months ago. I never thought I would live to know a great leader like the ones we learned about in school, but it seems the day has come. We are not naive to the fact that Barack Obama is walking into a "storm" as he put it today- wars, economic colapse, evironmental and health crisis...the list goes on. And, we do not expect a magic wand or one great speech to solve these issues. Thankfully, throughout his campaign, he remained humble to the fact that he can not really "fix" anything- All he can do is try his best and inspire the rest of us to do the same. And with that positive cumulative energy, change IS possible. I feel honored and excited to be led by a man of such humility, intelligence, and insight- qualities that are not modeled in a modern way for us often enough. So, put me in coach! I am ready to do my part!



"A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus."
Martin Luther King, Jr.



No comments: